“If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees. If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children.”
Jennie has taught for sixteen years, as a Special Education teacher as well as a fourth grade teacher. She believes quality education is critical for long term growth. She believes in small class sizes that enable teachers to attend to the individual needs of each student. She thinks students should have appropriate resources to help them succeed.
Her plan is to:
- attract and retain excellent teachers with competitive pay and loan forgiveness incentives that will encourage new teachers to stay in Oklahoma as they work off their student loans.
- provide high quality early education programs so that all children can succeed.
- provide funding so that districts hiring emergency certified teachers will have instructional coaches to help these new teachers and their students be successful.
- ensure that each school has a testing coordinator so that school counselors can attend to the emotional needs of children.
- provide high quality vocational education programs so that the 35% of students not attending college are equally prepared for a successful adult life.